Choosing a theme for our nursery



When we bought out first home last year the one room that I wanted to get spot on was Noah's. I wanted him to have a room that was not just functional and pretty to look at but somewhere that just had a great feel to it too. It also had to be suitable for his age but also easy to convert into a toddler room as he gets older.

I had an idea of what I wanted before we started decorating but I found that searching for idea's online really helped me decide what would look best. I wanted his room to have a warm feel but with a slight nautical twist. To achieve this theme I decided to choose a mild yellow paint called Cream Oakville from Graham & Brown for the walls and a pale beige carpet. You would think it would be pretty simple to choose yellow paint and a beige carpet but with so many different shades to go for we did deliberate for a while. We eventually agreed on which to go for and they both complement each other well.

Once all the decorating was out of the way it was time to bring the nursery furniture out of storage. We had bought the setup when I was expecting and thankfully the warm tones of the pine furniture matches the theme of the room perfectly. You can buy pine furniture online and in many stores - a timeless, and classic look that stands the test of time.


The last step was to dress the room and I chose blue and neutral accents to add a sort of seaside/nautical feel. I personally love light blue and yellow together as it reminds me of the beach. With the subtle hints of blue here and there I think it really works and Noah's room is my favourite room in the entire house.

Noah is now 16 months old and it's scary to think in a few more months we will be changing his room around again, we will be packing away the cot and switching to a cot bed. I can't believe it's almost time to say goodbye to his cot but I am looking forward to tweaking his room here and there. I have been looking online for new pieces for his room and I am so tempted in buying this pirate themed bed from FADS. Noah is pirate mad, everything is Jake, Jake, Jake and it would fit in with the theme so well. 

At what age did your toddler go from cot to bed? Does your child's room have a theme? 

No comments:

Post a Comment